ESCNJ Adult Community Services Program
ESCNJ Adult Community Services Program opening JANUARY 28TH 2020!
The ESCNJ Adult Community Services program will be based in renovated space in the former NuView Academy Annex on the Piscataway Campus. The program is modeled on the Community-based Instruction program which offers: job shadowing; using public transportation; shopping; food preparation; household maintenance and social skill building.
The program will expand significantly when a new facility is built on land owned by the ESCNJ adjacent to the Center for Lifelong Learning. A Post 21 Committee of parents, community leaders, administrators, and teachers has been assembled to lead the effort, which includes raising $17 million to build the new facility.
Support, Services and Resources
- Transition Timeline
- NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities: https://nj.gov/humanservices/ddd/home/
- Selecting a Support Coordination Agency: https://rwjms.rutgers.edu/boggscenter/products/documents/ChoosingaSupportCoordinationAgency-fillable.pdf
- Selecting a Support Coorindation Agency-Spanish: https://rwjms.rutgers.edu/boggscenter/products/documents/ChoosingaSupportCoordinationAgency-SPA-fillable.pdf
- Getting the Community Life You Want: A Guide to Home and Community Based Services Advocacy: https://rwjms.rutgers.edu/boggscenter/products/GettingtheCommunityLifeYouWant.html
- New Jersey Council on Developmental Disabilities: https://njcdd.org/
- Special Needs Care for Adult Children: Your Care Options: Information to help find the right type of special needs caregiver for adult children with special needs. https://www.care.com/c/stories/10265/special-needs-care-for-adult-children-your-care-options/
- Resources for Adults With Disabilities: Lists a range of resources and support groups in New Jersey for adults with special needs.http://rwjms.rutgers.edu/boggscenter/projects/documents/SupportCoordinatorResourceListforAdultswithDisabilities.pdf
- Middlesex ResourceNet: A extensive list of services for families living in Middlesex County.http://www.middlesexresourcenet.org/health-services/developmental-needs/special-needs
- A Guide to Family Caregiver Resources: Lists organizations that can help take care of a loved one with special needs, including educational programs, caregiving tips, support groups and assistance with medical needs and financial obligations. https://www.care.com/c/stories/5765/a-guide-to-family-caregiver-resources/