FFA Salad Program is a Campus-Wide Success
Community-Based instruction is embedded into everything we do here at FFA. One example is our Salad Program. The students at FFA are gaining experience right here on our Piscataway Campus with participation in this program. Each week on salad preparation days you can find students cooking chicken on the grill, chopping lettuce and vegetables, filling salad dressing containers, and organizing over 100 orders for salads.
Timeline of Salad Preparation:
- Visit schools and offices around the Piscataway Campus to gather orders.
- Students socialize with members of our community and collect salad order forms.
- Organize a shopping list based on the number of orders.
- Make trips to Shop Rite and Restaurant Depot to purchase food needed.
- Tuesday: Begin preparing and cutting vegetables.
- Wednesday: Cut and cook all foods. Begin assembling salads after all food is cooked.
- Thursday: Cook breadsticks and soup if needed. Begin Salad delivery around Campus.
This project allows students at Future Foundations Academy to get hands on experience with food service as well as work on functional skills such as handling money, organizing a shopping list, and filling orders. In addition, as our garden continues to grow, we are able to use our own produce to serve in our salads. It’s a true farm to table experience!
Our community looks forward to salad delivery days. The salads are delicious, and would rival any salad you would order from a deli or restaurant!
Educational Resources and Policies
Effective September 1, 2013, each school in the Educational Services Commission of New Jersey will have an Anti-Bullying Specialist and a School Climate Team to assist the school in the successful execution of the ESCNJ's harassment, intimidation, and bullying policy. The Anti-Bullying Specialist and the School Climate Team work to ensure a safe learning environment within the school setting and to foster a positive school climate.